Friday 25 June 2010

Seemless or Flawless?


Today's brief foray into the crazy ever expanding world of metal is an unusual one. It is very rare these days to find metal bands with positive lyrics and even rarer (for me) for them to actually attain *the groove*.


For me one of my favourite things about music is the groove. In jazz it's called swing, in other genres it can be called the feel but in metal and funk its the groove. The groove is what allowed black sabbath to sound so bloody evil and dark without using amazingly fast guitars and screamed vocals. they were a blues band to begin with though, so they should know their music!

So imagine my shock when I finally heard a band that wasn't pantera, down or black sabbath that had that groove but didn't sacrifice speed or lyrical content for it! The best way to describe this band is soul/groove metal- smooth metal!

Killswitch engage did a lot for metal, especially in their early days, they may be a little stilted at the moment but there's no denying they did a J K Rowling- they got kids into metal, which is what counts! No killswitch is not the band I'm talking about it's their old lead singer's old side project.

When Jesse Leach left Killswitch it was indeed a shame but this vocalist had, for me, something special about him, his positivity and energy spoke to me, and being a drummer it is hard for me to fixate on vocals!

This band is Seemless. Most of the members were at the time from metalcore bands when they first played together. Leach from Killswitch, Kerswill from Shadows Fall and Overcast/Killswitch guitarist Cortese. Most of these guys are no longer with those bands, just thought I'd say. Anyway one would think the general way things would turn out is that we'd have another metalcore band on our hands. Screamed verses and sung chorus right? I was very wrong!

Seemless managed to set the scene with their first album, Seemless. While for me it was amazing it did get a little repetitive, although it was mainly because I listened to it way too much. Little screaming was present on this album, but the screaming that did emerge was heightened as a result of this. Thick homemade guitar sounds and tight, emotion filled playing that wasn't afraid to drop the bullshit and just make a damn good song.

Leach's vocals soar and dive like a hawk, gently and vicious. War and Peace being a perfect example of this. The drums and guitar and bass on this album are unstoppable, but sometimes the mood gets a little worn. The band have bundles of talent but it almost burst and it almost seems as if they find it harder to control on this album. The contrast between Endless, All is Not Lost and the rest of the album keeps you listening however.

Even on this first foray this album is beautiful, few bands can write heartfelt lyrics without sounding a bit wet.

`The flame in your eyes will make pale the radiant sun

Our truth will be revealed when our dreams become the breath of life` (Endless)

Need I say more?

But the band really comes into its own on their second and sadly last album- What Have We Become. The band have put some time into rehearsing and have perfected their sound to create a more mature and heartfelt album, when compared to their last. Instead of turning to vinegar they have transformed into a nice merlot!

Songs that are worth an instant mention here are Parody and Seven. Parody opens with a groovy drum part worthy of John Bonham, it is this drum line that actually steals the show on this song. The old school groovey bends on the guitar keep the songs unusual pace but the drums push it forward still. Then the verse kicks in. Leach's vocals fly, Cortese's guitar lifts the song giving it effervescence, and Fultz's bass and Kerswill's drums just thunder through keeping the steady pace.

The choruses then just groove on until your neck gets sore. The well placed scream ups the ante, creating tension . A soft and delicate guitar solo bends the rhythm and distorts the pace which only works if the Bass and drums can actually keep the beat, oh and they do!

Seven is just pure groove, awesome drum breaks are the soup of the day, but it's chicken noodle with sweet chilli and not bloody tomato soup that Seemless vend. This song sums up, to me, why Seemless are individual, it sounds like a jam that is so tight you feel lucky just to hear it. I'm listening to it now and it's just what I want to hear from metal. I'm a bit stuffy sometimes, I like stuff I can understand. Je suis comprende!

I mentioned the lyrics being expertly crafted, poems in their own right, to many bands this would become overwhelming. Many bands have a dynamic pull between the melody and the rhythm sections. If this balance is tipped to much the other musicians can get side lined. I love My Dying Bride but the rhythm section is flooded by the melody and has to take a back seat. They are a great band all the same however. It is very rare, though, that I can come across a band that keeps the balance well. Seemless have managed to just that, each mammber adds their essence to the mix equally resulting in a sound that hints of the days of Led and Purple.

Basically strong song writing combined with an infective groove and gently grown songs have, in my view, created one of the most under rated bands ever. I can't really analyse each song, I advise listening to both albums and making a judgement, if you don't like it, that's cool but I think your missing a lot with these guys. Here's a brief hit list of songs, just 2, but a brief introduction for those of you who would rather try on youtube before you buy. These guys are a diamond in the rough and I think that they have been overlooked but please, make up your own mind, If anyone has any suggestions for bands that are similar please let me know, I'd love to hear them!










Sorry about the quality but it is live footage which I think gives you a better picture of what they are like live.

Thanks for reading,

Shai-Hu-Lud enjoys his Mountain Dew in the sun

No comments:

Post a Comment